Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Another ugly disease, Breast Cancer

One of the things I have put on hold because of stupid Infertility is doing a weekend cancer walk with my BBF. She just asked me to walk with her in July in San Fran in the Avon Breast Cancer Walk. I am so excited. San Fran is gorgous and not too hot. I started exploring the website and even found a training plan, I can't believe I am going to walk 40 miles... Anyway, I was looking at the pictures and started getting sad because Infertility doesen't get even drop of the attention Breast Cancer gets. But then I remembered an article. It said that breast cancer used to be a disease to be ashamed of, sound familiar! Its because of dedicated women working for decades to get people to take action and recognize that breast cancer is a serious disease killing men and women and the cause needs support in order to overcome it.

This is gonna sound really silly but here it is... I know there will be at least once during this event I will feel very alone and almost like I am in hiding because while I am supporting a very important cause I will again, be alone. I will be jealous, knowing that Breast Cancer gets billions of dollars a year when "my disease" (and others) gets little attention and even less money for research and treatment. Jealousy is an ugly thing so I gotta focus on the good things, the money I am raising, the time I will be spending with a dear friend and doing a good thing for humanity and my health.  Besides, being jealous of Breast Cancer!  What is wrong with me! 

Oh yeah, and yes I said  Infertility is a disease, apparently it is.

I found out that for many women who need to go through kemo or radiation treatment they do not have insurance coverage to preserve their fertility prior to these treatments, REALLY! The insurance laws really need to change. Its not bad enough to have been diagnosed with Cancer, have to go through painful treatments, you also have to shell out $20K or more if you ever want a chance at being a mom! And that is after you have kicked Cancers ass. Its sad. Things need to change, hence the soap box I am about to get on :)

If you happen to stumble on this post please consider signing a petition for the Family Act of 2011, S965. It will not just people like me with blocked tubes but also people who have to fight for their life before they can fight for their ability to be a mom. You can find the info here:
http://resolve.org/resources/the-center-for-infertility-justice.html  And if you do sign the petition, Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Okay gotta end this on a funny note, my Great Aunt had Breast Cancer. How did I learn this? Over coffee one morning, she pulled her fake boob out of her bra and flopped it on the kitchen table and said, "I had breast cancer, make sure you get your boobs checked". She always had a sense of humor, love you Aunt Mary!

No comments:

Post a Comment